February 20, 2006

What's going on?

Carolyn, Patrick, and I planned our first excursion outside of Bangladesh since we arrived for February 8th. The night before I was to go to Dhaka I awoke and vomited all over my bed. (I rarely throw up so I wasn't smart enough to know that I should find a better location.) I went to my guest room and fell back asleep. Then I awoke a few hours later and this time I realized I was going to throw up. I headed to the bathroom, but when I turned on the lightswitch nothing happened. This is common at my house as the power is off most of the time. I wasn't able to reach the toilet in the dark, but my bathroom's concrete floor is better than my bed. The next morning I didn't feel so well, and I didn't know if I should continue with my travel plans. Ethel said I should at least come to Dhaka as I shouldn't be in the village alone if I was sick. I got on my motorcycle and found a bus to Dhaka. This bus was a good one, but it managed to break down on the way to Dhaka. Fortunately I was not sick on the bus mainly because I avoided food and drink. In Dhaka I got some excellent antibiotics from Ethel, and boarded a bus for Kolkata. I slept through the fourteen hour ride bus ride and was oblivious to our ferry ride. The next morning I felt completely better even as we went through the circus at the border crossing. A few hours later we arrived in Kolkata.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I hope you are feeling better.

And, glad to hear you finished the Harry Potter books!! And how can she end the sixth book that way and make us wait for the seventh! I'm not sure when it comes out, but it will be a couple years probably.

Laura said...

I am so glad you are no longer vomitting! I hope you are taking care of yourself. And I am glad that others are watching out for you too.