In the Dhaka MCC office I have a friend named Shilpi who invited me to her sister's (named Lovely) wedding this past week. Two days before the wedding on February 21st was the guyholewd (I have no idea how to spell this, I can barely say it). This day was also a national holiday, Mother Language Day, so I was available - and fortunately I was in Dhaka, where the wedding was held. All of Lovely's close friends and family spent the day painting the stairs and roof of Shilpi and Lovely's apartment buiding (I was honored to be included). Apparently if you are getting married you are allowed to paint all 5 floors of stairs and the roof. But this is the only time you can paint without upsetting the landlord. In this photo Anne, another MCC Dhaka friend, and I finish the painting.
February 25, 2006
Guyholewd
In the Dhaka MCC office I have a friend named Shilpi who invited me to her sister's (named Lovely) wedding this past week. Two days before the wedding on February 21st was the guyholewd (I have no idea how to spell this, I can barely say it). This day was also a national holiday, Mother Language Day, so I was available - and fortunately I was in Dhaka, where the wedding was held. All of Lovely's close friends and family spent the day painting the stairs and roof of Shilpi and Lovely's apartment buiding (I was honored to be included). Apparently if you are getting married you are allowed to paint all 5 floors of stairs and the roof. But this is the only time you can paint without upsetting the landlord. In this photo Anne, another MCC Dhaka friend, and I finish the painting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
that's awesome! I love the painting...but I'm a little confused. Do they have to paint over this when the wedding is over? And they painted the whole building? Not just their apartment! I love it though!
They painted the hallway of the entire building and the roof. They also painted the outside of the building in a nice light yellow.
That is awesome!
Post a Comment