I've said it a million times, but the traffic in Dhaka is horrible. The wedding was held on a Thursday - the worst day for travel in Dhaka. After work on Thursday, Salma and Carolyn came to the guesthouse where I was staying and we all got ready together. Salma wrapped our saris for us. We wanted to be at the wedding at 7, but we didn't leave until 7. It took us TWO HOURS to get to the wedding, and we were sure that we had missed it. When we arrived we had dinner, but we hadn't missed all of the wedding. Fortunately it was a Hindu wedding - and I'm told they are longer than Muslim weddings. After dinner we had about four hours to watch the wedding. There were lots of rituals that I didn't understand, but they were interesting to watch. The wedding was held at a Hindu temple right in front of the temple gods. Carolyn and I had to duck out of sight a few times as the cameramen liked to focus on us instead of the bride and groom. When the wedding was finished it took us TEN MINUTES to get home.
February 27, 2006
The Wedding
I've said it a million times, but the traffic in Dhaka is horrible. The wedding was held on a Thursday - the worst day for travel in Dhaka. After work on Thursday, Salma and Carolyn came to the guesthouse where I was staying and we all got ready together. Salma wrapped our saris for us. We wanted to be at the wedding at 7, but we didn't leave until 7. It took us TWO HOURS to get to the wedding, and we were sure that we had missed it. When we arrived we had dinner, but we hadn't missed all of the wedding. Fortunately it was a Hindu wedding - and I'm told they are longer than Muslim weddings. After dinner we had about four hours to watch the wedding. There were lots of rituals that I didn't understand, but they were interesting to watch. The wedding was held at a Hindu temple right in front of the temple gods. Carolyn and I had to duck out of sight a few times as the cameramen liked to focus on us instead of the bride and groom. When the wedding was finished it took us TEN MINUTES to get home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
these women are so beautiful! And I like the new layout of your blog!
Wow! I am really amazed with how beatiful weddings are in Bangladesh. These women are beatiful! I also like your new style of blog.
Reba,
I need to say ditto to both of those comments and just let you know how much I miss you!!!
Big ditto!!!
Post a Comment