A month ago my cleaning lady invited me to her house. I didn't go, but I mentioned it to Miss Nath, my Bangla teacher. Miss Nath immediately started in on one of her numerous lectures of things to avoid. This time she told me that I should not go to my cleaning lady's house, because lots of people would be there to stare at me. If I absolutely had to go, she said that I should take a friend.
Yesterday my future cook/cleaning lady, Ismatara, invited me to her home for Iftar. I thought that it would be nice to meet her family and see where she lives, since she will be working for me for several years. When I arrived, I was seated in the front room that had a bed, a chair, five shirts, and a belt. The rest of the family was in the back room, and I was surprised to be seated alone. Ishmatara brought my food and I started eating. Soon people started coming into the room, and before long there were a dozen women watching me eat. It is a bit awkward to eat with so many people staring at you, so I was glad that she had given me a spoon. They asked the same 2 questions I am always asked: What is your country? & Are you married? After I had finished eating, the entire lot of us went to a neighbors house that was beside Ishmatara's house. I was the entertainment for the group, and when I left I even gave a few signatures - they were excited that I could write my name in Bangla.
October 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Reba, you are such a good sport!
You always have been one to attract attention :)
I was not!
so are you used to people staring at you by now? I would think at some point it will become normal to you instead of akward, if it hasn't already. Although I think I would feel very akward in the situation you described.
So why aren't you married??? he he
Post a Comment