November 01, 2005

No chilis here

On Friday Patrick and I had the blandest Bangla meal ever. Miss Nath, our Bangla teacher, invited us to her home for lunch after our classes. Miss Nath does not use chilis in her food at all, and now she refuses to serve chicken because of the bird flu (she does eat eggs though). They kept on bringing us more food, and Patrick and I couldn’t eat the rest of the day. We also ate and visited with Miss Nath’s sister and husband who live with her. Miss Nath’s large house is very old – maybe a hundred years old. It used to be the mission building – this explains how all the Christians now live together. The land from the main road to the river (quite a large amount) was all owned by the mission. When the mission sold the land, the land was dispersed to World Vision, Christian hostels, Christian schools, and Christian individuals. Even today this section of Mymensingh is the Christian para. Later that afternoon Carolyn joined me and we spent the evening in Mymensingh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bekah,
I am so glad that you have a picture of Ms. Nath. That is just what I needed for clubs. How old is she?

Maria said...

wow..I love all of your clothes!

abby said...

Love the pics!!