What is Iftar? Iftar is when Muslim's break their daily fast. It happens at sunset, which was around 5:30 p.m. today. In the half hour before Iftar the streets are crowded and the driving is reckless. Today the traffic was the worst I've ever seen - due to the first rainless day in quite some time. Everyone took advantage of the weather to go shopping for Eid (which is two weeks away at the end of Ramadan) - the market was packed and every rickshaw had people with shopping bags. It is similar to Christmas shopping in the U.S. Instead of Christmas parties, there are Iftar parties. As Eid is quickly approaching, the invitations to Iftar parties are also increasing. I was at an Iftar party at Asha Neir with 200 guests attending on Saturday. I just finished having an Iftar at the internet cafe where I am typing this blog. It is common for people to invite whoever is around to join them in their Iftar. I think there is a blessing for those that feed someone who has been fasting. The food for Iftar is delicious and usually the same traditional food is served. Dates, a fried sweet pastry, and lentils with puffed rice are common. I read in the newspaper today that President Bush recently hosted an Iftar party. Tomorrow I have invitations to two Iftar parties, but I'll be going to the one at the MCC Muktagatcha office as that is where I will soon be working.
In other news...on Wednesday I moved to the guesthouse at the MCC office in Muktagatcha. Everyday I commute to Mymensingh for my classes. In this culture women can't get away with anything. Living alone, going out alone, and talking to men can be seen as inappropriate for a woman. The women in the Christian para that I lived in had been gossiping about me. To save my reputation, I left the community. I'll be in Mutagatcha about a week before I move to my permanent home in Ram Chandropor - where there will not be gossiping women. Ironically now Patrick is planning on moving into my old room - of course, no one will gossip about him - even if he were to behave worse than I.
October 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
They probably weren't gossiping about your singleness or your inappropriateness... they were probably gossiping about those wonderful facial expressions you're known for -- which, by the way, you should take a few pictures of and post on here... we miss them.
Good luck with the new living situation.
Hum... reassignment. what does the c...n para consist of at this point? Local native folks or mcc. how long (distance) will the new commute be? what is the time on the road? are there more salters in your new location? send more pics.
We are having an End of Ramadan prayer and an End of Ramadan party at the community center in a couple weeks. At least 200 people are expected to attend. I just scheduled it today, so I thought I would share.
And I'm sorry to hear you had to move because of gossiping! When will you start working?
P.S. In case you don't see the comment I left on my blog, I did text you back and it said it worked! But I guess it didn't??
Reba,
I've been gone for 4 days and I'm catching up. It all sounds so interesting! And thanks for the text message, did you get mine back? I was also wondering, are you eating only before sun rise and after sun set or do you find a way to eat during the day as well? Also, with all this food they are giving you, is your BMI skyrocketing? LOL I'm just kidding, I'm sure all the walking and commuting balances it out, right? :)
Gossip is so silly! However, since you are the topic of the gossip, I guess that proves that you are interesting to them. That might be a positive thing...
You dirty girl!!! Just kidding! I'm sure that you are being the perfect angle we all know you to be! ;)
Post a Comment