Yesterday was August 17, and I completely forgot until I watched the evening news that one year ago over 400 bombs went off simultaneously all over Bangladesh. That was why when I went to Netrogona yesterday on the bus, a RAB (rapid action batallion) man thoroughly searched the bus. As for the government of Bangladesh - elections are coming. They have a care-taker system of government where for three months some group of people are running the country. I don't really know who these people are or how this works, but I think there will be three months without any government!
Going home and coming back reminded me of how foreign Bangladesh was when I first arrived. My second arrival had the same events, except that this time I knew what I was doing. Navigating the Dhaka airport, leaving the airport and being practically mobbed by tons of people offering to carry my luggage or give me a taxi ride, trying to get rid of these people so we could drive away, being blinded by the Bangladesh sunlight at 7 a.m., having beggars tap on the window of the MCC car, going to the CR flat - it was all the same. Then there were all the new things like learning Bangla - it seemed so impossible at first. Getting used to being stared at. At first I was so self-conscious when everyone was staring at me on the street, or a crowd was watching me eat. The houses, the streets, the bathrooms, the clothes, the lack of washing machines, eating with my hands, male/female relations, Islam, eating rice everyday - it was all so new. I've learned so many new things, but still there is so much that I don't understand.
August 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
isn't it crazy to think we have already completed one year of service? of course, you have more to go and I am done! I am glad ou have had a good experience so far and I'm sure you still have a lot to learn.
Wow! I know I'm going to sound like an old lady in a coffee shop, but time really does go so fast! I can't believe all you've done and all you've learned. I'm really happy that you are having a positive experience.
hey - thanks for the card and the little change purse thingy...I love it! I just got it today when I went to work (I didn't get it before I moved out). Yeah, there was a lot of my mail there actually, I expected someone to forward it to me! Anyways, thanks again.
Yeah, thanks for my card too!! I just got it since we just got back from vacation - it was a great surprise!!
You've come a long way, it's so exciting! Just think how comfortable you'll be by next year. Thank you also for the card :)
Thank you!! You are great - that was so unexpected!
Post a Comment