August 29, 2006

A late lunch

Today I working in Netrogona, and my lunch break had already started by the time I got to the bus station for the hour ride to Mymensingh. At the bus station I got off the rickshaw and paid the 13 taka fare while ignoring a beggar. Then I went to the bus ticket booth and paid the 60 taka bus ticket with the same beggar still begging. As it was past lunch time I was starving so I went to a little shop in the bus station and bought 5 taka spicy peanuts and 10 taka water. The beggar continued to follow me. Then I got on the bus and started eating my snack. This very persistant beggar would not leave! I usually don't give to beggars who beg in bus stations or in traffic jams in Dhaka as they are famous for fraud, but I just couldn't eat with him standing there begging. I gave him 2 taka and he left.

4 comments:

Laura said...

That would be a hard decision. On one hand, you would want to be helpful. On the other hand, you don't want to enable fraudulent behavior.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebekah!

It's Rachel. I'm enjoying your posts. Thought I'd send you my blog address just in case you're curious about life here on the Philippine Islands. I go Stateside next week to get married. How crazy! Thinking of you.

http://racheloliverstevenson.blogspot.com

rcorinneoliver@yahoo.com

Suzanna said...

I know what you mean - I always feel bad and caught as to what is the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

hey ya,

i just visited five forks website for the first time in a long time and took a look at the missionary page. how is it over there (i'm sure if i read a few of your blogg posts i would find that out, sorry but i have 100 pages to read tonight in a text book). life in chicago is great. i was just in the city and yeah beggars are most interesting. 2 weeks ago there was a group of us who were walking and one just started talking to us as we were trying to get to our car and all the people but myself were new students, so in an effort not to have any bad instances happen with these newbies in the city i paid him and that part of the adventure was over.

oh you prolly want to know who this is, the only reason its anonymous is because i don't have blogger nor do i want to have blogger (i'm content with xanga xanga.com/disciple50).

have a great week,
josh lourdon