My fellow designer Abir is getting married next week, and last weekend we went shopping for the wedding shari. When you go shopping, it isn't like the mall where you browse through racks of clothing at your leisure. Instead you tell the shopkeeper roughly what you want and he unfurls the 10 foot sharis. At first, I felt really guilty for making the shopkeeper fold the 50 sharis that I decided weren't right. I'm very picky when it comes to these types of things, and the shari has to be just right for me to buy it. Now I can handle it. In the photo are the final two sharis, and Abir picked the one on the left - traditional Bangladeshi red.
June 21, 2006
Shari shopping
My fellow designer Abir is getting married next week, and last weekend we went shopping for the wedding shari. When you go shopping, it isn't like the mall where you browse through racks of clothing at your leisure. Instead you tell the shopkeeper roughly what you want and he unfurls the 10 foot sharis. At first, I felt really guilty for making the shopkeeper fold the 50 sharis that I decided weren't right. I'm very picky when it comes to these types of things, and the shari has to be just right for me to buy it. Now I can handle it. In the photo are the final two sharis, and Abir picked the one on the left - traditional Bangladeshi red.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love those colors! Awesome experience, without the bartaring!
Beautiful!! Do you get new Sharis for each wedding too, or were you just helping the bride-to-be?
ha ha, I can picture you going through 50 sharis before finding the right one! They are beautiful!
Great picture! And good job dealing with the stares!!
Shopping would be quite a different experience :) The fabric is absolutely beautiful.
You have two brothers who are anxiously awaiting your shopping expertise when you arrive home.
Post a Comment