From Agailjhara I took a bus south to Quakata on the Bay of Bengal. The further from Dhaka that you are, the worse/non-existant the roads become. On the five hour trip of 90 kilometers we crossed 5 rivers by ferry where there was no bridge. Should I mention that on this extremely bumpy road the unairconditioned bus had no shocks or springs. I have sat on buses with small seats before, but the back of my bus seat to the back of the seat in front of me was not sufficient for the length of my waist to my knees. I had to sit with my legs at an angle pointing into the seat beside me. All the horribleness of the trip was completely forgotten when I arrived in Quakata. There I met 6 of my friends from Dhaka, and we relaxed and played on the beach Friday and Saturday. The town had several nice hotels for being as small as it was, though there were no nice restaurants. This village-town was not used to foreigners, and Carolyn and I got more stares than normal. Also, we were at the beach, but everyone wore clothes to swin in. Pajama pants and a t-shirt are one thing, but sharis and shalwar-camijs with ornas are another. Despite the abudance of clothes, the waves were great to play in. This beach is one of the places where you can see the sun rise and set over the ocean. Unfortunately, the sunset was cloudy, and the sunrise early.
June 06, 2006
Sea beach
From Agailjhara I took a bus south to Quakata on the Bay of Bengal. The further from Dhaka that you are, the worse/non-existant the roads become. On the five hour trip of 90 kilometers we crossed 5 rivers by ferry where there was no bridge. Should I mention that on this extremely bumpy road the unairconditioned bus had no shocks or springs. I have sat on buses with small seats before, but the back of my bus seat to the back of the seat in front of me was not sufficient for the length of my waist to my knees. I had to sit with my legs at an angle pointing into the seat beside me. All the horribleness of the trip was completely forgotten when I arrived in Quakata. There I met 6 of my friends from Dhaka, and we relaxed and played on the beach Friday and Saturday. The town had several nice hotels for being as small as it was, though there were no nice restaurants. This village-town was not used to foreigners, and Carolyn and I got more stares than normal. Also, we were at the beach, but everyone wore clothes to swin in. Pajama pants and a t-shirt are one thing, but sharis and shalwar-camijs with ornas are another. Despite the abudance of clothes, the waves were great to play in. This beach is one of the places where you can see the sun rise and set over the ocean. Unfortunately, the sunset was cloudy, and the sunrise early.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment