India has a great train system, and I've spent the last three nights on trains as I backpack through India. (I'm a backpacker!) This might sound a little miserable, but the trains have beds, dinner, and a.c. - so it's actually been relaxing. (See the photo of the inside of the train. On the left side there are two bunks and on the right side there are two sets of three bunks. All the trains are blue and remind me of Russian style. And I should say that we went on 3rd class A.C. - expensive. There are 2 or 3 classes without A.C. and with dust blowing in the window that comprise 95% of the train.) I board the train early evening and get off the train around noon, and during the ride all you can do is look out the window, listen to music, read, or sleep. I think it's fun and relaxing, and we're meeting so many foreignors (compared to Bangladesh of course). The first night I came from Darjeeling with all the MCC Bangladesh and India expats to Kolkata. Then the next night I went with Patrick and Carolyn to New Delhi. Last night I continued with Patrick and Carolyn to Jaisalmer. On the train you can meet some interesting people. On our way to Delhi we met a businessman who was from Delhi and helped us plan the four short hours we spent in Delhi. As a result we managed to see a Sikh temple, the president's house/parliament/government buildings, and the red fort. We also saved money on public transportation as he suggested that we take Delhi's new metro system - which is newer and nicer than such similar systems in Paris, London, or New York. I was quite impressed with Delhi actually-it's government building were beautiful. Then last night on the way to Jaisalmer we met this Canadian free-lance writer who played his travel sized guitar for us and is researching the similarities between bluegrass and Hindi music for an article. Now we're in Jaisalmer-I really didn't know why we were coming the entire way acrossed India (we're pretty close to Pakistan), but Carolyn was planning a camel trek (that's tomorrow). As we approached Jaisalmer the scenery turned desert-like similar to Arizona. When we got here we were absolutely amazed. The city is an huge old fort, and our hotel is part of the fort's wall. Really I can't explain how amazing this place is. You'll have to wait for the photos.
April 02, 2006
Three nights of train rides
India has a great train system, and I've spent the last three nights on trains as I backpack through India. (I'm a backpacker!) This might sound a little miserable, but the trains have beds, dinner, and a.c. - so it's actually been relaxing. (See the photo of the inside of the train. On the left side there are two bunks and on the right side there are two sets of three bunks. All the trains are blue and remind me of Russian style. And I should say that we went on 3rd class A.C. - expensive. There are 2 or 3 classes without A.C. and with dust blowing in the window that comprise 95% of the train.) I board the train early evening and get off the train around noon, and during the ride all you can do is look out the window, listen to music, read, or sleep. I think it's fun and relaxing, and we're meeting so many foreignors (compared to Bangladesh of course). The first night I came from Darjeeling with all the MCC Bangladesh and India expats to Kolkata. Then the next night I went with Patrick and Carolyn to New Delhi. Last night I continued with Patrick and Carolyn to Jaisalmer. On the train you can meet some interesting people. On our way to Delhi we met a businessman who was from Delhi and helped us plan the four short hours we spent in Delhi. As a result we managed to see a Sikh temple, the president's house/parliament/government buildings, and the red fort. We also saved money on public transportation as he suggested that we take Delhi's new metro system - which is newer and nicer than such similar systems in Paris, London, or New York. I was quite impressed with Delhi actually-it's government building were beautiful. Then last night on the way to Jaisalmer we met this Canadian free-lance writer who played his travel sized guitar for us and is researching the similarities between bluegrass and Hindi music for an article. Now we're in Jaisalmer-I really didn't know why we were coming the entire way acrossed India (we're pretty close to Pakistan), but Carolyn was planning a camel trek (that's tomorrow). As we approached Jaisalmer the scenery turned desert-like similar to Arizona. When we got here we were absolutely amazed. The city is an huge old fort, and our hotel is part of the fort's wall. Really I can't explain how amazing this place is. You'll have to wait for the photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
nicer metro system than London & Paris? Wow. I miss public transportation! And I would be interested in this guys article comparing Hindi music to bluegrass!
Wow. That is awesome! I never think that Delhi would be able to compete with London or Paris. That's awesome that you get to travel so much even while you are already far away. You might as well see as much as you can while you are there!!
Post a Comment