April 06, 2006

Jaipur & Agra

From Jaisalmir we took a train to Jaipur. Jaipur had tons of old palaces, temples, and forts as well as shopping. We hired a driver who took us around the city to various sites, and then he suggested that we go to a large fort outside the city. At sunset we walked up a small mountain on which was a large fort. The fort's wall kept going as far as we could see and was a maze that you could get lost in easily. We watched the city turn on its lights as it became dark and even saw some fireworks as it was a Hindu festival. When walking back down the mountain we saw some people in traditional clothing dancing and playing music. We watched from a distance, but they saw us and tried to get us to join them. We tried to figure out what they were doing, but we left quickly and walked down the mountain in the dark. Carolyn and I have been doing a bit of shopping and honing our bargaining skills. We are in touristy areas where the prices are incredible and we have to bargain hard. From Jaipur we took a train to Agra which was supposed to arrive at 9 pm. Another train derailed, so we had to backtrack and we ended up arriving in Agra around 5 am just as the sun was rising on the Taj Mahal.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love reading about your experiences! I've been sharing your writing with Bob also, and we have decided that you should write a book when you return to PA. It would be completely amazing!

abby said...

I'd buy your book. Perhaps a collection of pictures? I bet the Taj Mahal at sunrise would be beautiful!!

Suzanna said...

I just read your camel trek and thought it sounded amazing - a book sounds like a good idea to me!