March 29, 2006

Darjeeling

I've left the heat of Bangladesh for a nicely cold Darjeeling, India. Darjeeling is only a bit north of Bangladesh, but we drove straight up curving mountain roads for three hours to get to a moderately high place in the Himalayias. On clear mornings we can see the tops of Mt. Everest and other high spots peaking through the mist. Once we got up at 4:30 to see the sunrise. Darjeeling is a cute touristy town with lots of fun things to experience like the zoo, mountaineering institute, handicrafts co-op, monasteries, Buddhist temples, tea, and tons of hiking (my flat land, rickshaw riding legs are quite sore). The MCC Central/South Asia group is having our anual retreat, and all the expatriots from India, Bangladesh, Iran, Nepal, and Sri Lanka are attending. We learn about what the other countries' programs are doing and have a special speaker talk about development. I'm finding it helpful to step back from my work and see it in a larger, longer perspective.

5 comments:

Abby said...

The Himilayias....? And Mount Everest....? I am officially jealous!

Laura said...

Wow! Everything must be so beatiful around you! I'm so happy that you decided to go on this "trip" (if you can call it a trip). I think we should all come and visit you together when you get back for a reunion party!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree. I think you should all get together when Rebekah comes back and you are welcome to come to our house.

abby said...

wow! What a holiday!!!!

Maria said...

I can't wait for a reunion! And oh my goodness, I really want to travel again. *sigh*