January 14, 2007
What is the point?
Had a bit of excitement last weekend - I went to Dhaka on Wednesday to get some work moving before the long blockade that was supposedly coming as a prelude to the election on the 23rd. On Thursday I had a quiet day and managed to stay out of all the Thursday traffic jams by walking. The only problem with not being stuck in a Thursday traffic jam is that all your friends are stuck in a traffic jam, so you are alone. As I waited in a Jo's apartment watching BBC, I started hearing harrowing tales of Robin not being able to find a rickshaw with her hands full of pizza boxes. Then Ethel is called and said that the president had declared a state of emergency and a 11-5 curfew. When Hannah, Rebecca, and Cicely arrived, I was exhausted just hearing about their 6 hour journey to Dhaka from Mymensingh. You can read more about the rickshaw accident, long line, and bus driver arrest at Cicely's blog (http://cicbangladesh.blogspot.com/). I was pretty excited to be hanging out in an apartment with BBC when Bangladesh was on it. Despite it all, we had a wonderful time hanging out together in Jo's apartment. We went to a wedding - one of the nicest that I've been to - the bride had a ton of gold and the sharis were spectacular. We also had a all MCC worker lunch as we were all together in Dhaka at the same time. Good news and bad news - no blockade this week, but the election is postponed. So now we are back at November again, I don't know if I want to do this again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sorry to hear about the election being postponed again! good luck with everything
How much longer are you staying in Bangladesh?
Things seem quite complicated :(
Post a Comment