January 01, 2007

New Year's Eve in Bangkok


















We were leaving our hostel on New Year's Eve to go to Siam Square to meet friends, when the hostel staff asked us where we were going. There had been several bombs that went off only an hour before that in Siam Square, so they suggested that we change our plans and go to another part of town for the evening. We got in a taxi and rode around Bangkok looking at the millions of white lights that decorated the boulevards of the city. We went to a couple of places where events were scheduled, but everything was pretty quiet due to the bombs. We later learned that most events had been cancelled for security reasons. So we went back to the street right outside our hostel, which is where alot of touristy people hang out. There were tons of police, and everything closed down earlier than it had the night before. There were alot of people there, and everyone tried to make the best of the situation. We had dinner at an Israeli restaurant, and rang in the New Year hours before the rest of the world.

5 comments:

Maria said...

looks like you had a fun new year's eve! way more interesting than mine!

Abby said...

I had heard about the bombs and worried about you. I'm glad you're ok and you still managed to have a fun New Years Eve!

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to worry everyone? Your experiences are amazingly worrisome for family members...I'm sure mom is thrilled with your travel adventures. Please be safe. Cheryl H

abby said...

Who are your gentlemen friends?

Suzanna said...

I didn't hear about the bombs, but I'm glad to hear that you are safe..that sounds a bit scary! Glad you had a fun New Years!!