
If you stay in town for the weekend, you will probably only ride rickshaws. You will see many other modes of transportation - and there are at least six in this photo, not counting the top of the bus.

At night in Mymensingh your rickshaw may randomly stop along the side of the road. You might panic for a second until you realize that your rickshaw wallah is buying fuel - not for the rickshaw, but for the oil lamp underneath the rickshaw seat. Women sit along the side of the road at night and sell this fuel.

Want to see a Bangla movie? The Aloka Hall Theatre is the closest threatre to my house, but I have yet to see a movie here.

Have you ever worked out in your bare feet? How about a shalvar camij? Just watch your toes!

What, Mymensingh has a gym? Not only does Mymensingh have a gym, but now two women are members. Cicely and I found a safe place to work out in the evening. We may be the only women in the place, but we have found the men, most of whom are body builders, to be quite respectful.

Though she may never have muscles like Arnold, Cicely diligently lifts on in pursuit of a healthy body.

These clay statues are pujas used in the Hindu temples. This shop is close to my house, and as I pass by everyday I see the progress on the sculpture. After the clay is complete, they will decorate the statues with fancy clothing and paint for a beautiful result.
3 comments:
Long time. I hope things are well over there. My professor brought up Bangladesh today in class, specifically Dhaka (I hope I spelled that correctly). He was a the Director of SIM (I'm sure what the initials stand for, but its a missions org). When I heard him say Bangladesh I remembered that you were there. So thanks to Five Forks' website I looked ya up. That's cool you found a gym. I, also, recently joined a gym (about a week ago). One of the dudes on my hall and I had attempted to do the whole gym thing last year, but the school's sports teams kept kicking us out so we gave up. But, now we both broke down and bought a membership across the street. Anyhow have a great day, week, month..time lol. My email is Jlourdon@gmail.com. I also have xanga, though they do not allow you to leave anonymous posts like I am doing now.
Josh
why do you have to work out in barefeet??
Reba, I am so impressed...you have to overcome so much to exercise, while most of us could easily exercise but never really get around to it. I am reminded of our days running around Bluffton late at night...I wish I still had that much motivation.
Post a Comment