January 20, 2007

This state of emergency

Since the state of emergency was declared a week ago Thursday, things have been going very well. First, there are no blockades or hartals, so I can travel. Last week I went to Netragona, Piergacha, and Tangail, and I have plans to go many more places in the weeks ahead. From what I am hearing there won't be any more of these annoyances until the election. The election probably won't be held for at least six months. In the meantime both parties are pacified with the appointing of the new neutral caretaker government. No one is allowed to say bad things about the government, and the military is ruling the country. Most people seem positive, and happy that the new, correct voter list is being compiled for the election. From time to time I hear murmerings about the military searching women in burquas in the market, slapping girls when they ride more than two to a rickshaw, or breaking up gatherings of more than three people at night. The newspapers can take a break from writing about riots and get back to the normal articles about things like the hazardous chemicals that are used to preserve the fish and fruit in the markets.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I can't tell if this is a positive blog or nagative. Just stay safe.

Suzanna said...

I agree with Laura...usually a state of emergency would be bad....but no blockades sound good...but slapping girls is no good! Again, I agree with Laura, I hope you stay safe!

Rebekah said...

I was going for positive. As far as safety, I have nothing to fear from the army, they wouldn't dare touch a foreignor.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bekah,
Glad to hear you are ok after the bangkok bombings & shinanigans in Bangladesh. I finally got internet so i can keep up better with ya. - cousin darren