November 15, 2006

Just like that

This morning I heard strange, but normal sounds as I woke up. The close train whistle, bus horns, and cars were all unusually loud. Last night in an instant they announced that the blockade was over. One minute you think that it will never end, and the next it is over. Someone realized that food has to be allowed to travel, so that prices are low enough for the common person to eat. But the blockade will most likely come again, but not before Sunday. This gives us a chance to madly import/export our goods, travel to Dhaka for business, bring the food to the cities, and get out of the house. It's like being snowed in for a snowstorm, except that you never know when the snow will melt.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray! I'm glad you get to eat!

Rebekah said...

Actually i would eat no matter what, because i work for an organization that is committed to feeding me.

Suzanna said...

I am glad that you are guaranteed food. It all sounds rather scary, but you seem to handle it so well. Love reading the updates and I hope things stay calmer!

abby said...

I love that your organization is committed to feeding you. That's great.