November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Somewhere half-way across the world it is Thanksgiving, but I don't think that it is Thanksgiving here. In Bangladesh it is just another day at the office, and the fourth day of a country wide blockade. How is it possible to make plans for work in such a situation. They claim that they will end the blockade when Aziz, the Chief Electoral Commissioner, resigns or goes on a holiday. He didn't go to the office yesterday, and apparently they will have a meeting this morning to decide if they will end the blockade. Who decides mid-day to end a blockade? Maybe this afternoon or evening the entire country will get in a car and bus and create a huge traffic jam. I hope it ends, I'm getting cabin fever.

Most nights when I'm snowed in my house I read, paint, bake, and go downstairs for tea and tv news with my neighbors. Two nights ago I invited all my female co-workers to my house for tea with all of their children. 4 ladies, Cicely, and 5 kids created lots of noise and fun despite the power being out for half of the time. I went to the mission last night to celebrate Cicely's feast day with her. The sisters brought out all the best for our dinner. I had a dream that Aziz was murdered. I woke up and took a rickshaw ride to the office through the fog and cold morning. Everyone was wrapped up for a snowstorm, but if it was this warm during Ohio spring we would be in tanks tops and flip flops.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I thought you would like to know that in Ohio people are currently wearing flip flops and short skirts (like my sister) because it is 50 degrees outside! a warm winter!

I hope you had a good "Thanksgiving" halfway across the world.

Suzanna said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! These blockades are crazy - I wonder what would happen in the US if they tried something like that...somehow I can't see that going over well! Hope it ends soon!