I can't believe that it is day 4 already, I'm handling the uncertainty better than last time. I have good sources that tell me if I can go out or not. Yesterday Ethel called and said that the day would be dangerous. I stayed in my house or in my office all day, and it was a good decision as there were riots minutes from my house at one point. It's important to have good neighbors to spend time with when you are trapped inside.
The things I watch on TV are quite unlike anything I would have thought was possible before. There are so many scenes of policemen caught on camera beating people. I knew the police were corrupt before all this started happening though. The police will stop a bus and tell the bus to take them where ever they want to go - and not have to pay.
For the most part the demonstrations have been peaceful, it seems like the political parties want peace. Maybe the police are stirring everything up. Still it is confusing as all the tv news is in Bangla. Often my questions of "what did they say" are ignored. My best source is the morning news, but that isn't the most up to date. I have great contacts in Dhaka who let me know the situation hour by hour.
November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Please take care of yourself, we love you so much! Thinking about you running around the convent in circles reminded me of our late night runs in Bluffton :)
oh my goodness i need to read your blogs more often, and pay attention to the news..hope everything is ok!
Reba, stay safe. I'm glad that you have good neighbors and trustworthy contacts that can keep you posted on the situation.
Post a Comment