Yesterday we were having an unusually early morning tea at 8:15, when Deepa got a call from her sister. The news was that Bangla Bhai, "the tyrant who once spread Islamic militancy with the administration's protection," had been caught in Muktagacha! It just so happened that Deepa had some business at our partner organization in Muktagacha, so Deepa, Ferdosi, and I headed to Muktagacha for "official business." As the vehicle we were traveling in neared the center of Muktagacha, we saw lots of police and people running in one direction. At the exact moment that we passed an open field a huge helicopter swept down from the sky. Then the police pushed everyone back and Bangla Bhai was put into the helicopter. In Bangladesh a small crowd can form in half a second, well actually everywhere there is always a small crowd because there are so many people. But this crowd was really big for being so impromtu. I can't believe I got to see this guy! He was pretty close to me all along. The hideout of Bangla Bhai was just outside Muktagacha near my house in Ramchandrapur. Actually one night I got on the wrong bus and probably went right by his house. Last week the number one guy of the Islamic militant group - JMB, Rahman, was captured, and this week number two, Bangla Bhai, has been captured - so now we really are safe!
March 07, 2006
Bangla Bhai
Yesterday we were having an unusually early morning tea at 8:15, when Deepa got a call from her sister. The news was that Bangla Bhai, "the tyrant who once spread Islamic militancy with the administration's protection," had been caught in Muktagacha! It just so happened that Deepa had some business at our partner organization in Muktagacha, so Deepa, Ferdosi, and I headed to Muktagacha for "official business." As the vehicle we were traveling in neared the center of Muktagacha, we saw lots of police and people running in one direction. At the exact moment that we passed an open field a huge helicopter swept down from the sky. Then the police pushed everyone back and Bangla Bhai was put into the helicopter. In Bangladesh a small crowd can form in half a second, well actually everywhere there is always a small crowd because there are so many people. But this crowd was really big for being so impromtu. I can't believe I got to see this guy! He was pretty close to me all along. The hideout of Bangla Bhai was just outside Muktagacha near my house in Ramchandrapur. Actually one night I got on the wrong bus and probably went right by his house. Last week the number one guy of the Islamic militant group - JMB, Rahman, was captured, and this week number two, Bangla Bhai, has been captured - so now we really are safe!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am really glad to hear you are safe!!!
hmmm...you couldn't write this kind of story back in PA. I'm thankful for your safety.
Wow that's amazing! I am also very glad that you are safe.
Oh my! I'm glad that you are safe and that justice is being done. What is the court/police situation there. Are they civil or do they still do exciting things like caneing and stoning?
Post a Comment