March 20, 2006

Eel, public bathing, and other experiences

I've done so many new things in Bangladesh that I wonder how many more new experiences I can have. In Bubly's village I ate eel and pigeon. I've had the eel before, and this time it was pretty good. The pigeon didn't have too much meat on it and it was really chewy - and I didn't like the cooing noise in the background. Then it was time to take a bath. The outside toilet is only big enough for the squatty potty. Bathing takes place beside the water pump, bucket, or in the pond. Our bucket of water had a screen on three sides, and we wrapped this long towel thing around us. Then we poured water over us and the towel. I didn't really get clean, but it was my first time. I also pumped water from a well with my feet, walked through rice to aid the drying process, and hacked open a cococut with a blade.

4 comments:

Maria said...

yuck eel...yuck pigeon...but cute picture! And public bathing, wow. You are brave!

Laura said...

Reba - you look wonderful! I agree with Maria that you are brave. Eel, Pigeon, and public bathing...wow!

Abby said...

I agree, you look great! I am so impressed with all of your new opportunities, keep being brave, you'll remember all of your experiences forever!

abby said...

I like to live vicariously through you. I didn't know we were going to be so adventureous!!!