December 30, 2005

Around Jalchatra

During Shuporna's wedding, Carolyn and I had a chance to motorcycle to a Garo village with Joel and Shem where we spent the night in a mud house without electricity or running water. The house belonged to Lisa, another MCC worker at the Jalchatra office. We attended part of a funeral celebration where we ate lots of pork and danced. (The actual death had happened a month before.) The man serving me kept putting more pork on my plate after I said that I didn't want any more. I finally just stopped eating. The dancing was in a circle with several circles of people going in different directions and picking up speed as we continued. If we hadn't been dancing I might have frozen. It was really cold - I never thought it could happen in Bangladesh.

5 comments:

Laura said...

The look on your face while riding your motorcycle is priceless! So, will you be getting a motorcycle when you come back to PA?

Maria said...

great picture!

abby said...

I love it! You really should - the motorcycle looks good with you. lol

Abby said...

Your personal dietitian says, "Yeah for protein!"

Suzanna said...

Love the motorcycle!!