December 30, 2005

Shuporna's Pre-Wedding

On December 27th Carolyn, Joel, and I went to Shuporna's house for a pre-wedding celebration. I'm not really sure what the event actually was, but it had something to do with Shuporna's husband leaving his home and coming to Shuporna's home. They are Garo, and this group of people are matriachal and Christian and a minority in Bangladesh - like First Nation peoples in the U.S. Shuporna's husband had to eat weird food and pay money to get near the house, and the whole time he looked like he was about to cry. Once he managed to get inside, we all had Mass together, and then we ate lots of meat. The entire time we were treated as honored guests. Carolyn and I didn't even know Shuporna that well, but they invited us to several breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. In the evening all the younger people danced together - Carolyn and I even participated. Then they had individuals free-styling to Hindi music, which was hilarious.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! She really looks beautiful in the pictue you posted.

abby said...

oh my Gosh! she is beautiful! Are you attracted to Bangla men yet?

Abby said...

I was going to say the exact same thing, the bride looks beautiful!