December 05, 2005

Conclusion of my Dhaka trip

Friday morning (a week from Friday) we left dark and early for Dhaka. When we got to the ferry, we were fortunate enough to learn that they were just starting to run after being stopped all night due to heavy fog. Back in Dhaka Nadine showed Patrick, Carolyn, and I to the best stores and restaurants. Patrick and I did a little shopping in the afternoon, and then we all went to a nice Indian restaurant for dinner. Bengali food is not at all like Indian food. Nadine also introduced Mango Café to us. It could be in any Western city with its creative interior and art, but best of all they serve brownies.

Carolyn and Patrick left on Saturday for the north, but I stayed in Dhaka to help Shinjita with some computer things at the office. Sunday night some of the staff from the Agailjara office came to the guesthouse for the night. I went with them shopping around Dhaka for a bit, and I am looking forward to working with them in February.

Monday morning Shinjita, the Agailjara office staff, and I headed to Muktagatcha. We stopped along the road for breakfast. Eggs and flat bread were served, but I refused to eat the eggs. I’ve been more cautious about this type of eating establishment since I was sick once.

When we arrived at the Muktagatcha office I was surprised to see a large tent set up in the back. I was reunited with my co-workers and we all sat around and chatted for a bit. The occasion for celebration was the retirement of an office guard who had worked with MCC for 25 years. First we gathered for his retirement ceremony. Besides the Muktagatcha and Agailjara office staff his entire family was present. About 15-20 of the office staff members went to the front of the room and spoke about the guard. Some even started crying as they spoke. When this happened everyone in the room bowed their head (a lot) and looked at their lap. Then the guard was given flowers, a ring, and some handicrafts. Following the ceremony we all went to the tent and enjoyed a massive delicious meal. The goat on my plate stared at me through the entire meal, but I managed to eat a bit of it.

After the celebration we had an office meeting. We started at 3:30 and didn’t finish until almost 7:00. But no worries they drove me home afterward. The meeting was organized in a unique manner. The agenda of the meeting was set after the meeting started by each participant saying what they wanted to discuss in the meeting. Shinjita lead the meeting and she speaks good Bangla at a moderate speed, so I could understand most of the time. Since the Job Creation program is being operated in the new partnership method, it is like an experiment and things are always changing. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on, and I think that some my co-workers are with me.

Tuesday we all gathered again at the Muktagatcha office and headed to Mymensingh for a partnership meeting. Every three months all the Job Creation partners get together with MCC and discuss their partnership. The meeting was held at a partner called ISSD – Ideal Steps for Sustainable Development. For the meeting most of the women wore saris, and when we selected our seats the men sat on one side and the women on another. Of course, when we finished the meeting we had lots of rice, vegetables, fish, and chicken.

My only normal day at the office in two weeks was Wednesday. Thursday a hartal was called, and I was strongly encouraged not to come to the office. Most of the Bengalis probably went, but I’m a foreigner and I don’t really know what was going on. I didn’t mind sleeping in, and my fridge is really clean now (and there isn’t a colony of ants behind it anymore).

6 comments:

Abby said...

I'm glad to hear you're more cautious about your food now. I'm afraid most people who are giving you food aren't too concerned about the proper heating and cooling temperatures of food, are they? Be careful! Also, I'm glad you got to have brownies. I couldn't survive without brownies-ok, so maybe I could, but I'd probably be a bit grumpier most days. Thanks for the card!! I just got it on Friday. It was so nice to hear from you!

abby said...

ants!! Aahh! What's worse...ants or maggots? lol!

Maria said...

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your not so typical job! And thanks for teaching me a new word - I did not know what a hartal was, I had to look it up. Maybe you explained it before but I didn't remember.

Abby said...

I had to look it up too :)

Laura said...

I used the "context clues" you provided in your sentences to discover the meaning of hartal. (My students would be proud that I am using what I've taught them). However, I still looked it up to be sure I was correct!

Rebekah said...

Sorry, it's been awhile since the last hartal. We had a few in September, but during Ramadan everything was pretty calm.