November 18, 2005

Driving in Bangladesh

This week the Muktagatcha office staff set aside their many duties in order to help me acquire my Bangladesh learner’s motorcycle license. I had to fill out a form in Bangla, so Arun, the supervisor of the Muktagatcha office, helped me complete the form correctly. Then I needed photographs – in passport size and in 2x3 cm size – so the designer and marketer of the office took my photograph and developed prints. Then I had to know my blood type – but I couldn’t remember. So I asked my parents and the country reps. Neither one knew it, but I was able to make an educated guess. Then I had to go to a doctor at a hospital for his signature. I went to the Muktagatcha hospital – there were lines of people everywhere. I went to the room where the doctor was, walked to the front of the line, and he came out from behind a sheet that barely covered a woman who was lying on a table being examined. Three of the Muktagatcha office staff were with me as well as about twenty people waiting to see the doctor. The reason I had to go to the doctor was so that he could identify me in case of an accident. The doctor asked to see my identification mark, which was on my back. I was not going to show him my back in front of all those people and my co-workers, so he didn’t make me when I protested. After we collected all this stuff, two of the office staff went to Mymensingh and got my license for me. Now I will have my learner’s license for three months, and then I will take my driving and oral test. Of course, if for some reason I’m not able to pass the test, then we will just pay a bribe and I will have my license. However I get my license, MCC feels that is important that I know how to drive.

On Thursday afternoon I left work early and I took a bus through the Modhupur Forest to the MCC office in Jolchatro. The bus was really crowded, and I had to stand the entire 30 minute ride. (I’ve never had to stand on a bus before; people always get me a seat somehow.) I got off the bus and eventually found the office where Philip was waiting with a motorcycle for me to practice on. We rode to a mission beside the office and I started driving on a basketball court. It was a small miracle that we found such a good spot to practice. I could see the road, but no one came to stare at us. I drove in circles on the basketball court numerous times, and I only drove off the court once. A motorcycle is so much easier to drive than a stick shift car. We went back to the office and had pineapple, and then I rode my motorcycle and Philip drove his motorcycle to his and Rebecca’s house about 30 minutes away. I was driving on the road after driving a motorcycle for less than an hour! This area is remote for Bangladesh, but there was a fair amount of traffic – mostly rickshaws or other man pulled vehicles. After we got to the house we went deeper into the jungle and I practiced some more before dinner. Friday morning after mass at the Catholic mission, I drove some more. It was kind of cold – I had to wear a jacket! Then while Philip did some packing (the Geisers are leaving for the U.S. this week), I went driving out on the road by myself. This time when I was trying to turn around I almost went into a ditch in the jungle. I got the motorcycle stopped in time – anther inch and the bike and I would have been down. When we were ready, we drove out to the MCC office- me on my motorcycle and Philip on his. I went faster this time, but my helmet was too big and it started slipping at high speeds so I only went up to 40 km/h. A few large dump trucks passed me, but no buses. Back at the office we had more pineapple, Philip motorcycled me back to my house and he returned to Dhaka. I need some more practice before I can drive on the big road with all the speeding buses, but I am completely shocked at how easy learning to drive a motorcycle was.

5 comments:

Abby said...

Reba,
That is so exciting that you're going to get a license over there. (Even if you do have to pay for it!) Good luck. Just be careful! Also, all of your pictures look so beautiful! What a better place to "volunteer" to live!

Laura said...

I have a hard time picturing you on a motorcycle. I guess I always associated them with large tatooed men :) I am glad it is fairly easy to learn.

Maria said...

It makes me laugh when I picture you learning to ride a motorcycle with your over-sized helmet, but I'm glad to hear you are catching on quickly! Too bad the process to get a liscence isn't as simple as learning to ride!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great youll have to bring us a motorcycle be sure to wear your helmet

abby said...

Wow - I would never have guessed - Reba - The Motorcyclist!