November 30, 2005

Hog Fattening

A week ago Sunday I took a bus to the Jolchatro MCC office to attend a hog fattening seminar. It is a bit strange that I went to a hog fattening seminar in Bangladesh since I’m not in MCC’s agriculture program and because most of the population of Bangladesh doesn’t eat pork. However, it is important that I know about MCC’s other programs in Bangladesh and not just the Job Creation Program. In addition, ten percent of the 145 million population of Bangladesh is non-Muslim - so that is still a lot of pork eaters. One of the agricultural program’s staff had done research to discover the most economical way to fatten a hog. He presented his research and partner organizations attended to learn about his research. The partner organizations will take what they have learned and share it with individual farmers who are raising hogs. Also some professors from the agriculture university in Mymensingh were present to comment on and critique the research.

After our lecture we all enjoyed a huge meal together, and the MCC staff arranged my transportation to Dhaka. I was simply going to go to the next town and find the bus station, but they insisted that I ride with them in a van part of the way. I rode in the van with them in a southern direction for a while. When they needed to go west to Sirajganj and I more south to Dhaka, they found a bus for me. Eventually I arrived in Dhaka and joined Carolyn, Rebecca, Philip, and Hannah in the guesthouse.

No comments: