November 19, 2005

Apnar desh?

Everywhere I go, everyday, everyone asks, “Apnar desh?” In English this means, what is your country. Most of the time I ignore the question. Sometimes I say Bangladesh, and occasionally if I'm doing business with someone, I will tell them America. ( When Carolyn and I take walks through the village, everyone assumes that we are Korean, because the Koreans have the farm in Ramchandrapur. These people in the picture begged the two Korean foreigners to take their picture.) Philip suggested an alternative to the unavoidable question. He has just started saying Ohio in reply to the question. Then he can have an intelligent conversation with those who know where Ohio is, and those that don’t know will have no more questions.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Phillip seems to have a very cleaver suggestion!

Abby said...

He's from Ohio too, I never realized that!

Maria said...

sounds like a good strategy to me!