So the bombing in Bangladesh were everywhere. There are 64 districts in Bangladesh and all but one had explosions simultaneous around the time of 11:00-11:30 on Wednesday morning. My French friend from Taize was actually about 100 yds. from one in Mymensingh. The bombs were not that big, and it has something to do with one political party trying to prove that the other does not have control of the country. Elections are about a year from now, so this must have been the start of their campaign.
On the holiday, Friday, I was invited to Lisa's house for a special birthday dinner with her family. Lisa's newly turned seven year old niece goes to a Christian boarding school in Mymensingh, so her parents came from Dhaka to celebrate. We all sat on the floor and ate the rice and special chicken dish that was cooked with something like curd. It didn't sound that good, but I was surprised that it was sweet and delicious. Then we all walked to the school and met all the students. They tested out my Bangla, and I am afraid that Lisa was not impressed with my ability to communicate. After my mind was numb from trying to talk in Bangla, we all went inside for cake and sweets. They had a birthday cake, decorated with icing, but it was a little less sweet than American cake. The girls all sang Happy Birthday in English then they cut the cake and put it in the mouths (like an American wedding) of the birthday girl and the special guests - me, the school mistress, and the aunt. Besides the cake we also had this round donut thing about the size of a donut hole that is moist and dripping with sugar - very very sweet and delicious. After my birthday part experience one my neighbors walked home with me and invited me into her home and we had tea of course.
On Saturday I got up really early and went to Taize for prayer at 6:30. It was nice to walk by the river in the cool and avoid the younger crowd and their conversation. I met Bubbli, a friend of Christina - former MCC person in Bangladesh, and after prayer we chatted during breakfast with the boys. The hartal gave me lots of time to study my Bangla, so I tried to apply myself. In the evening I walked to Taize along the river and met many new friends. Today life is back to normal, at least the noise level is.
August 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Reba,
I'm so glad to hear you're ok. We were all really concerned. And thanks for the update on everything else going on. It sounds really interesting!
I didn't even know there were bombings in Bangladesh...shows how up on world news I am. I am so glad to hear you are okay!!
At World Youth Day we had a memorial for one of the French leaders of the Taize community who was killed. Please stay safe!!
Post a Comment