August 18, 2005

My long awaited luggage arrived yesterday from Dhaka along with many wonderful things. I had been living quite simply from my backpack, but now I have many things to pass my time in other ways besides studying. I also received alot of fabric, curtains, rugs, and tableclothes so my room looks alot more decorated. Philip also brought me bread and jam and chocolate and juice, which is nice after always eating rice and vegatables. An evaluator of MCC's programs in Bangladesh came to Mymensingh and we all went to Muktagatcha in the afternoon for lunch and to evaluate the office there as well as a job creation partner in Muktagatcha. It was interesting to see this Western woman in a suit firing away questions to men when women rarely leave the house. When we arrived at MCC's partner organization they brought out tons of fruit and snacks and tea. I kept on eating the pineapple, which they don't understand because it is so plentiful here and not considered that wonderful. I wore some bangals that are only worn by Hindu women who are married, and one of the production supervisor who was a Hindu married woman was interested in my bangals and we became friends. She half carried me out of the office as there was tons of mud everywhere due to construction. During this time we also found out that there had been alot of simultaneous "bombs blasts" in Dhaka and Mymensingh. I don't really know what is going on because I can't talk or read, but I think this happens once a year or so. I spent the evening in my room arranging my new things and eating the bread because it was pouring too much to legitamize leaving. Tomorrow is the holiday and Saturday their with be demonstrations about the bombings so I will be banned to my room if Ms. Nath has her way. She said not to go out this afternoon, nothing will be opened tomorrow, and I should not go out on Saturday either due to the demonstrations.

3 comments:

Abby said...

Reba, I saw an article on CNN.com today about the bombings in Dhaka. It made me worry about you...I hope you're doing well. I miss you. Keep up the blog, I love hearing how you're doing :)

Maria said...

Be careful Rebekah! Don't wander outside during the bombings! I love reading your blogs.

-Your second mom

Laura said...

Reba - I am so relieved to hear from you! Bob was browsing the news on the internet the other day and was reading about the bombings in Bangledesh. It seems like a rather unfortunate situation for places like Dhaka and elsewhere. I am glad to know that Ms. Nath is so protective of you. Thanks for keeping us informed. Stay safe!