August 11, 2005

I am back in Mymensingh, the place where I was the last time I wrote. Of course, I have been many places since then, so I will try to fill you in.

After I wrote my blog last Thursday, Philip and I went to Miss. Nath's home to set up time for her to teach me Bangla. We were quite late as we had at the internet cafe, so she reprimanded us with the comment that it was ok to be late for most things in Bangladesh - just not work or school. After quickly deciding on a time and a rate of payment for her teaching, she ushered us down the road a bit to meet Lisa, my tutor. After meeting Lisa, Lisa showed us to the home in which I was going to be staying. Well, it turns out that I am not staying there, because Rebecca and Philip weren't comfortable having me there. Eventually Philip and I boarded the motorcycle and started for Modipur with the added challenge of rain. Almost as soon as we put on our rainsuits it stopped raining.

At home we waited for Rebecca's arrival from the hospital. When Rebecca arrived we were happy to hear that both her and the baby are healthy. We were all exhausted and had cold leftovers by candle as again, the power was not working. As I was getting ready for bed a horrible thing happened. Just as I was closing the shutters, a lizard was trapped and smashed. These lizards are everywhere, and usually they are faster than this one.

The next day is Friday, which means Saturday or weekend. We slept late, lounged around, and didn't do much of anything besides eat. For lunch Brother Eric came, and we had dinner at the Catholic mission that is near Rebecca and Philip's house. We had to walk back from the mission in complete darkness as the electricity was out - well, we had a flashlight.

Rebecca and Philip live among the Garo people. The Garo are a minority tribal group who are Christian. These people are very friendly, almost every night Rebecca and Philip will go to their neighbors or their neighbors will come visit them.

Saturday morning we had breakfast with the Geiser's neighbors - delicious with very unusual fruit. Then we were off to Dhaka. We had dinner with a guy who used to work for MCC, and who is now trying to start a peace building NGO.

Sunday I had tea at the office and took care of some business. Then Philip and I were off to do some sightseeing in Dhaka. It sounds relaxing, but actually it is a bit of a chore. The traffic and pollution in Dhaka make you just want to stay home. We went to old Dhaka, and our first stop was a garden. Males and females are not seen together in public except at certain places like this garden. There were couples everywhere having all sorts of fun. Then we walked through Old Dhaka and stopped in specialty shops that made conch shell bracelets and musical instruments. We traveled by boat on the river for a bit, which got us out of the noise and traffic and was a bit cooler. After the boat ride we found a building that had been listed in the Lonely Planet book, which gave us a aerial view of the city. At home we had a late lunch, and lounged on the balconey discussing orientation information. In the evening we played speed Scrabble (I knew how!) and had pizza.

Monday morning Philip and I left early in the morning for Mymensingh. This time instead of MCC vehicles we took the public bus, which was alot different. The guy in front of me stared at me the entire time. We arrived in Mymensingh and had lunch with the Taize brothers, and looked for a new apartment for me. We found one - my first apartment ever! It wasn't ready for me, so I had to spend the night at the MCC Muktagatcha office guest house. This is where I will be working eventually.

On Tuesday I rode a maxi with one of the office staff to Mymensingh for my language class. Miss Nath had cake and gifts for me. Then I went to my apartment, which Philip was arranging and we shopped for a few things. At lunch at the Taize brothers they had special sweet treats to celebrate my birthday. Then I went to Lisa's for my tutoring session and she also had gifts and treats for me. Philip left for Dhaka and now I am the only MCCer in Mymensingh. There are many people who are concerned about me, and asking me what I need and how they can help. Of course there is often miscommunication. I asked for mosquito repellant and I got insect killing spray. I asked for fabric and I got fabric paint.

My daily schedule is 9-11 with Miss Nath and 11-12 with Lisa to study language. I have alot to learn, but it is important to learn if I want to do things independently.

5 comments:

Abby said...

What do you do with Miss Nath? And why didn't that couple feel comfortable with you staying there?
It's good to hear you're having a great adventure!

Laura said...

How long will you live in this apartment? Do you know anyone close by, or are you kind of by yourself now? I hope things continue to go well for you!

Maria said...

It's so good to hear from you again! (it's only been a week but it feels like longer than that!) I laughed so hard when I read the part about the lizard, I can picture you freaking out. And sorry to hear about the mosquitos. I remember how not fun that was. And good luck with the language study and the new apartment!

Suzanna said...

Yeah, good luck with the language...being an ELL teacher I know how hard it can be!! You're learning so much - it's awesome to hear about it!

Rebekah said...

Ms. Nath teaches me Bangla, and I'll just say that the Geisers felt that the first place was a little dirty - there were birds in the house. I will most likely live in my apartment for 3 months. I'm just like you Laura - in a new city making friends. Both my tutor and my teacher are nearby and I know them. The people that own the house that my apartment is a part of are pretty nice also. I am always having visitors - today it was a beggar:)