August 13, 2005

I've settled into a routine, and I am adjusting to this period of language study. I'm even becoming an expert at public transportation. Not really, but I've been fortunate to find nice rickshaw drivers or nice people to help me find nice rickshaw drivers. In order for me to use the internet, I have to go into Mymensingh on rickshaw, which is about a 5-10 rickshaw ride. I've got the proper words down, the only problems occur when I try to get the proper price - 5 taka. So far I haven't paid more than six, but they often try to get more from foreignors. Not all the rickshaw driver are like this, quite a few are honest and only charge 5 taka.

Every day I leisurely arrive at 9:00 at Ms. Nath's for language study. She is an older woman who has taught over 50 MCCers as well as a ton of Bengalis. She was the schoolmistress of the local school. She lives with her sister, who chats and gives me cake and tea during my mid-class break. Ms. Nath is very nice and very concerned about me. She is always telling me not to shower in the morning in the cold water, not to open my door at night, not to go out at night, not to go out alone, to always use my umbrella to protect myself from the sun....etc.

Next I usually go to my apartment and a lady comes and cleans my apartment and washes my clothes. I'm not quite sure how clean her methods are, but without her I would have a very sandy, muddy floor and dirty clothes so I try not to think about it. The first day that she came was quite interesting - trying to tell her what to wash or clean and not being able to speak to each other.

At 12:00 I go to Lisa's and she tutors me for an hour. Lisa is 22 and is has just completed her university studies. She is looking for a full-time job, and she occasionally substitutes and teaches a class a week. After my time of tutoring we eat lunch together. In the afternoon I am free to go to the market or internet or watch hindu movies/tv with lisa. The Bangladesh TV is like normal TV, but with all the women in saris or shalvar camij. They even have music videos - like ours but the dress and language and culture is all different. You can see the western influence though.

Around 6:30 I begin my 20 minute walk to Taize. The walk is nice - most of it is along a beautiful river. Beside the river many people gather to sit or walk or have coffee. On the weekend it is even more festive with balloons and more people. Of course, most of the "people" are young men full of cute things to say. When I arrive at Taize we have a service that is half in Bengali/half in English. It is a somber, chanting type of service. After the service we have dinner. The Taize compound is beautiful with lots of trees and flowers. The church building is very western - like an old cathedral. There are three Taize brothers who came from the Taize "center" in France to work in Bangladesh. Right now Brother Eric is the only brother here. Their mission is to boys naturally, and a large group of boys pray and eat three times a day at Taize. After dinner one of the boys walks or drives me home on a bicycle as it is very dangerous for me to walk alone in the dark. Then I am enprisoned in my room until the sun rises.

I'm finding it very confusing to know when the weekend is. Yesterday was Friday, and that is the weekend. Most shops are closed, and most people go to the mosque. This would be men as women do not go to the mosque or anywhere else for that matter. The other six days of the week are working days - they work six days a week! I am not enjoying only having one day off from language study. The Christians go to church on early Sunday morning before they go to work. This is a bizarre arrangement, but since less than 0.5% of the population are Christian it does not cause too many problems. Both my language tutor and teacher attend the local Baptist church, so I will likely drag myself out of bed and attend at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo cuz,
I'm glad to hear that you're adjusting well there. Strangely enough I was thinking about you this morning right before I checked my email. I think it's awesome that you're there and I have enjoyed reading your account thus far. I pray that things continue to go well for you- David

Abby said...

It sounds so exciting Reba! I hope you're having fun on this crazy adventure. When do you start doing the arts and crafts thing?

Anonymous said...

hey reba,
wow! i am so happy for you. how is bangladesh? i hope you have some salvars and saris of your own now. i know you would look drop dead gorgeous. have fun babe and take care of you.

Maria said...

watch out for those rickshaw drivers! sounds like you are adjusting well. I'm glad.

Hi Grace!

Anonymous said...

Rebekah,

Hi dear! It's good to hear from you. I didn't know you were going to Bangladesh (or maybe you told me and I forgot sometime between the beginning of May & now)...but what fun to read your updates! Are you serving a full 3-yr. MCC term or shorter/longer? Looking forward to continue reading about your adventures! Take care, chica! (Hmm...I guess that's the wrong language for Bangladesh...) Blessings, Emily

Anonymous said...

Rebekah,
Thanks so much for including me in your email about your trip! Sounds like your having a wonderful experience! I worked with a young man from Bangladesh some years back, it took a half hour for me to learn how to say his name! Hope you learn easier than I do! I am looking forward to reading more about your adventures. Keep safe and we miss you here at Bluffton.
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Beka,

Good to hear from you again. Keep up the good writing. What is the food like? DAD

Anonymous said...

Hey Bekah,
Wow, you are in Bangladesh! Madness. I remember studying social studies in school and thinking people and places were the most boring things in the world. NOT SO when you live it and God is the center, eh? I just got back to kona from fiji yesterday. Keep me posted on what God is doing there. What a Great and Mighty God we serve. Lata Cuz! - darren

Anonymous said...

Hey Beki,

Wow...everything you've done so far sounds amazing! I know it's all daily life stuff, but daily life in a forgein country is oh so exciting for a while! Take care girlie! Love ya, Jen