August 25, 2005

I had a break from my Bangla classes on Tuesday, but not a break from Bangla. MCC was having a meeting with its job creation partners in Netrogona, and they allowed me to go along. I boarded a van and left the city of Mymensingh to go into the countryside. The rice fields were brilliant green with ducks swimming in a line. The countryside seemed more remote than Mymensingh: poorer, less women, and many more stares. During the meeting I caught a word or two, and tried to stay awake by chatting with Mitu and staring at the beautiful saris. The meeting was located at a large partner of MCC that employs children ages 12-18 to make baskets, batik, screenprinting, and natural dyes. After the meeting we got to see the kids working, which was a little disturbing. They were so young and so little - sitting on the floor working all day. The employment of children is common - my tutor Lisa has a 12 year old cook who makes all their food seven days a week. These are the good jobs for kids - I can't really imagine the bad ones. After the tour I had a chance to buy my first sari - I must test the products that I will be working with in the future. When we got back to Mymensingh, Deepa helped me purchase the blouse and petticoat that is worn with the sari. Yes, despite the long length of the sari, they still require more pieces of clothing. Three articles of clothing must always be worn - the more comfortable alternative to the sari is the shalvar (baggy pants), camij (long shirt), and orna (scarf) that I usually wear. Deepa and I also stopped into a Bangladeshi fast food restaurant for coffee - the Bamba. Not at all like McDonalds, but it was a nice place though very loud. During this time we met a student who designed saris with tons of hand painting and beadwork. I was impressed with the hours that she had spent on them as well as the possibilities for me in designing my own saris. Our visit was cut short when some girl tried to take my picture with her mobile. She didn't have her flash on, so it didn't turn out. We didn't stay around for her to retry the photo. Everywhere I go people stare, and now I have to fend off photographers.

4 comments:

Maria said...

I had to fend off photographers at a gas station once...

Desigining saris? How awesome is that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bekah,
I guess we can understand a little more how the Amish feel when their pictures are taken. We saw a few making hay this week.
Mom

Suzanna said...

Maria - why were you fending off photographers in a gas station?!?!

Rebekah - glad to hear you have like rock star status there! Thanks for the picture!!

Maria said...

Suzanna-
check out my entry from august 4th to answer your question. :)

Rebekah-
Hello again! I miss you so much!