July 11, 2005

Ultimate frisbee

It is back to orientation today. We had a new lady for devotions today who introduced some Spanish songs. During our break we met with the MCC East Coast staff, and discovered more about the organizational structure of MCC. Today's first session was about peace and service theology, and I really was expecting it to be boring. The speaker was actually quite interesting, and told alot of stories, did group discussions, and showed a movie about the civil rights movement of the sixties. I went to a pizza place with Ed Martin, director of Central and South Asia, for lunch. I learned alot more about the region and MCC. We also discussed the status of my visa, which to our knowledge is not here yet. The lady who was working with it just went on maternity leave at the end of June, so we are a little confused as to who, if anyone, is actually working on my visa. The afternoon session was a continuation of the morning session but was even better. My favorite part was when we divided into groups and created and performed skits. Of course, my group had a professional actor in it, so our skit was the best - in my humble opinion. We dealt with the problem of giving people what they really do not need, instead of both parties mutually giving and receiving. After dinner a group of us played ultimate frisbee for several hours. I don't think I ever played the game, and I hadn't thrown a frisbee in a while, but it was fun nonetheless.

No comments: