It happenend two weeks ago when I was in Dhaka, and it happens every time it rains for more than an hour. Maybe it's true that the drainage systems are clogged, but what would happen if we actually had a normal rainy season or a week of constant downpour? The rain was supposed to come in July; it's October and this morning I got up at five and had to shut my window because rain was coming in the window.To be more clear, every time there is a downpour in Dhaka for an hour or two, the water floods in the street. Yes, many of the small roads flood, but this photo is of one of the main arteries in Dhaka, a city of 15 million. Bangladesh has this thing called open sewer, so while it might look cool that all the streets are full of water, it's actually part sewer water. When I took this picture, I was trying to get to the bus station to go to Mymensingh. This normally takes 20-30 minutes in a normal traffic jam, but it took over an hour as there was an extra traffic jam due to all the water and stalled cars and CNGs.
4 comments:
Yeah Reba is back! It seemed like you hadn't blogged in awhile. Kentucky had some flood problems last weekend - the basement flooded where I work, you know, just to add to the stress of my job. But I'm sure it's nothing like Dhaka!
I haven't been on for a long time, but it was great to read all of your entries and see the pictures. It's amazing to hear about all the things you are going through - stay dry out there! Our rainy season hasn't started...yet!
Hey Rebekah! You probably have forgotten all about me, but I do read your blog now and then, and love to read about your adventures. It makes me smile when I remember the day you asked me what it was like to be away from home... I told you: you'll have rough times but you should just do it anyway, it'll all be good once you get there. Now, can you imagine your life without this experience? Pretty cool you had the guts. How long will you be there for? And are you fluent in the languages? Did you take lessons or anything?
My email is: carolinemoons@yahoo.com, in case you feel like answering the questions above :o) Thanks! And enjoy your time there.
Love,
Caroline
Ewww - gross! I'll keep that in mind next time it rains...at least we have closed sewers.
Post a Comment