September 26, 2007

Nouka




Last Saturday we rented the Sirajganj office boat for the day, and sailed out onto the abundant Jamuna. The sun was shining brightly, and from the shore people were staring until we could no longer see them. It was windy and tiny white capped waves were breaking all over the river. We napped under the boat's canopy until we reached the island that is referred to as chor. The chor was smaller than before the rains, and we stepped off the boat right into the middle of the village. The chor people recognized Robin as the HIV/AIDS lady, and began showing her their limbs that had sores that looked like a photo on a HIV/AIDS billboard that MCC had put up in the village. After Robin reassured the lady that she did not have AIDS, we walked around the village gathering a larger and larger following. After our walk on the chor, our boatman found us a nice spot for swimming and we jumped into the river. A few minutes into our swim a boat pulled up and laid down anchor. After exchanging a few pleasantries, we learned that the people on the boat had come specifically to see us. I tried to get their photo, but they refused. I let them know that I didn't think it was fair that they could come to stare at us and we couldn't have their picture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Beka, riding on one of those little boats on that big river. How big were the white caps, as I recall, the boats were not that stable in rough water. I hope you still know how to swim. Were there any other boats out on the river? Where did the folks in the other boat come from? They seem a bit strange.

Maria said...

over there is picture taking one of the activities prohibited during Ramadan? Among one ethnic group Americana serves, I quickly learned that taking pictures is not ok during Ramadan! (among the adults)

Anonymous said...

I don't think that water is clean to swim in. LOL

Anonymous said...

Did Robin make it out of the water? She does not appear to be enjoying the dip in the river.

Laura said...

I enjoy looking at these boats.