September 09, 2007

Nirapod, Niribili

For the last month I've been boycotting the Dhaka-Mymensingh buses as the road is really terrible due to rain and bad road management. Finally this weekend I came to Dhaka on a bus, and discovered that the Nirapod bus company that I usually use had purchased new buses. The interiors of the buses had bright, clean fabrics, and the outsides were freshly painted. The new buses had better springs and shocks, which helped make the washed out sections of the road bearable. Unfortunately, the new buses had ridiculously loud horns, which the bus driver repeatedly used every few seconds. It was so terrible that one of the SALTers moved to the back of the bus, preferring to endure bumpiness to honking.
I also noticed that the old buses from the Nirapod bus company had been put to good use as they had been purchased by a new company, Niribili. Niribili copied the logo of Nirapod, and if you don't know Bangla you could be confused to think that Niribili was Nirapod. The staff of Niribili were quite aggressive in trying to get our business, making comments such as "2 hour service." With the roads in the condition that they are it should be impossible to get to Dhaka in 2 hours, though on Sunday my bus got to Dhaka in a little over two hours and I didn't think I'd live to tell about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebekah,
I will rejoice when you no longer have to ride those buses.