May 16, 2006

Shunderbans

Last weekend I went to the Shunderbans, the only place in Bangladesh where the royal Bengal tiger still roams free. I had learned from my tiger experiences in India that tigers probably won't come within feet of you, so I wasn't expecting to see any tigers. To enter the Shunderbans you have to get special permission, so it is unique from the rest of Bangladesh as it is nearly deserted. It was so peaceful and quiet that I could barely believe I was in Bangladesh. I went with a tour group of 12 Germans and Danes and we spent the four days on the boat. The Shunderbans is a maze of rivers and creeks and we sailed the whole way down to the Bay of Bengal. There is also a large mangrove forest and the largest sea beach in the world. There were no people at all, and most of the time the boat was anchored and quiet so we saw tons of animals and birds. We left the boat several times to walk through the forest, go to the beach, and take smaller boat rides into the creeks. On the way to the beach one day we saw fresh tiger tracks, and another day we saved a dolphin that was beached on the shore. In the photo me and Micea, who is doing master's research in Mymensingh, relax on the top of the boat at sunset.

5 comments:

Maria said...

wow - sounds like an amazing trip! You are getting so many unique experiences over there.
I'm maybe just a little jealous :)

Laura said...

Yeah, so that is yet another experience that you could never have here. I'm glad you are able to take advantage of so many wonderful opportunities while you are there!

Suzanna said...

That sounds amazing!! And good job saving the dolphin! I didn't know there even were dolphins there.

Abby said...

That sounds absolutely incredible.

abby said...

So you tracked a tiger and saved a dolphin? That is the coolest vacation EVER!