May 02, 2006

Nakshi kantha in Netrogona & Lounging in Dhaka

Ten Thousand Villages wants to buy nakshi kantha products (a type of embroidery from the Indian subcontinent) from Bangladesh, and so last Wednesday my two bosses, Arun & Shinjita; Suriya, the designer from Prokritee; and I went to Netrogona to our partner that works with textiles. We had conversations about the capacity of this partner to produce nakshi kantha and we looked at some samples that they had produced. It may be too soon to tell, but the samples looked decent as far as quality is concerned.

Then after completing our Netrogona visit, finishing business in Mymensingh, and showing some Dhaka colleagues around our new office, I rode back with Suriya and Shinjita to Dhaka. Dhaka was typical for a Wednesday night hot and stand-still traffic. At least this time I was in an air-conditioned car.

Thursday I went to the dentist, which was a completely normal experience as the dentist was trained abroad. No cavities, but there wasn't a little sink to spit in either. I also spent time in the Dhaka MCC office working on finances and talking with Shinjita about my job description. How long have I been here?

The rest of the time until Saturday night I just hung out with people and ate alot. Thursday lunch with Carolyn and then the evening with Shilpi. Friday with my neighbors Kazaar, Kakon, Maheen and Kakon's parents and sister and nephews. Saturday I went shari shopping with Ethel, and then had lunch with Carolyn at Suriya's house. I had a delightful time with Suriya eating Danish ice cream and window shopping at high end designer shops in Gulshan.

In the photo:
Standing - Shumi, helping hand of Kazaar & Kakon
Seated on couch - Kakon's father & mother holding her sister's sons, Maheen (Kazaar & Kakon's son), & Kazaar (my landlord)
Seated on floor - Kakon, me, Kakon's sister

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bekah,
What are you holding on your lap?

Rebekah said...

My knees?