May 07, 2006

Girls Weekend

I invited all my single female Dhaka colleages to my house last weekend. We watched movies, ate pizza, gossiped, painted our nails, listened to music, and read magazines like any normal American friends would do. When they invited themselves to cook lunch; insisted they wanted to sleep on the floor instead of the bed; and had dinner at midnight after watching a movie, I felt that maybe I wasn't in America. Overall the weekend went smoothly until my refrigerator plug started burning. You can't just plug things into the wall here - the power isn't steady & you have to have the right voltage with the right appliance. I obviously made a mistake, but then I wanted my refrigerator in the kitchen. (Everyone said, "No, the refrigerator must go in the dining room." But I wanted the ugly fridge in the kitchen. Now it is safely in the dining room as there is a stronger power outlet there.) I caught that problem in time before any disaster occured. Then I got a bad headache, so I went to bed leaving my guests without dinner or entertainment. Fortunately they found food and a movie while I vomited for a few hours. The next morning I was well again, and I saw my friends off to Dhaka. I think they had a good time despite it all. (In the photo Shilpi and Carolyn get ready to eat the vegetable biryani, luchi, and eggplant that Shilpi made. Fortunately it wasn't yellow.)

5 comments:

Maria said...

I liked your refrigirator story. And it sounds like a fun night, I'm sorry that you were sick. And I can't believe you will be home in a couple months! I am going to see you somehow.

Abby said...

You're coming home?? When were you going to tell me? Have you been in Bangladesh so long you forgot all about me?

Laura said...

You are such a hostess! I'm glad you had a good time, despite the illness.

Anonymous said...

Bekah,
Was it the food that made you sick?

Rebekah said...

No, I think it was the heat.