May 02, 2006

Amar Bia

Bangladeshis always ask if I'm married - how can a woman function without a man. I'm finding it is more of a necessity to be married in this country. They also think that it's strange that I came here alone. The fact that I live alone is unusual as women live with their parents until the day they get married. Some might live in a university dorm or hostel, but never alone. When I visited Kakon's family in Dhaka, her sister let me put her wedding shari on. This wedding shari is extremely heavy - the pleats in the front fell out a dozen times during her wedding - and Muslim weddings are extremely short. If I truly have no chance of marriage, it was enough to wear this gorgeous shari. (Like the nose ring?)

4 comments:

Maria said...

wow! That is gorgeous! And what nose ring??

Rebekah said...

Maybe it's too small to see.

Laura said...

You got a nose ring? A real one? And, you do look fabulous!

abby said...

Wow - that is awesome!