June 18, 2008

Calgary, Alberta

MCC re-entry in Calgary, Alberta on March 13-16

Exploring the city

Instead of the ice skating rink that we hoped to find, we discovered a roller skating rink

The convent where we stayed


After flying over thousands of miles of snowy nothingness, our plane began its descent into Calgary. The sky was bright blue and full of puffy white clouds that whizzed by my window. I could see the edge of Calgary - after miles of flat prairie there was suddenly the edge of the city. Beyond Calgary for as far north and south as I could see were the Canadian Rockies jutting up sharply from the perfectly flat land.
Our retreat was small but full of familiar faces from Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the U.K. I toured MCC Alberta and made some new friends from Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario. We had hours to discuss our various MCC experiences, and time to explore Calgary. I also enjoyed walking in the evening snow and tiptoeing on ice covered rivers.

No comments: