November 26, 2007

Another trip to Piergacha


The forest didn't seem as tall, thick, and close as it did on my first visit. Sitting around the table at the mission with Father Homeric, friends, a nurse, and people from the World Bank didn't seem as exotic as the first time.
This time I decided to believe Father Homeric and use my flashlight. As the crait slithered off the path in front of me, I was ready to believe that over 200 people had been bitten by cobras and craits this year and had been treated by electric shock.
As I sat on the mud porch talking to Mohir and Mabel as dinner was being cooked, I understood much more of the conversation than my first time. I knew why I had to be at the mission before dark, and what the thud was that I heard after the dozens of Bangladeshi Air Force planes flew by.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bekah,
Glad you don't make contact with that snake! What was the thud after the Air Force planes flew by?