A lot of times I see something and don't really know what it is...such is the case with the village haut. When I lived past Muktagacha, I would occasionally drive through Muktagacha on a Wednesday afternoon, and notice an absurd amount of people clogging the roads.
A year and a half later I learned that this weekly village market has a name, haut. Men from the surrounding villages gather to buy and sell cows, trees, baskets, rice, furniture, farming & fishing supplies, vegetables, and countless other things.
As I approached the haut the road was lined with men and boys walking and leading cows. Men on vangaris (bikes with a wagon) were coming towards me with baskets and trees that they had already purchased.
The haut itself was packed with men and goods, and we pushed our way through to look at some baskets or to buy an old lantern.
2 comments:
I wish we had a village haut. I can imagine it being like community garage sales magnified 100 times over.
ha, those men really do look startled!
Post a Comment