June 04, 2007

Shopping for SEALK sharis

An occasion is an excuse to buy a shari, and we have an occasion next weekend. So last weekend Cicely and I went shopping. We went in the first shop asking, "Do you have any silk sharis?" Their reply, "Sit down!!!" We sat down.

Then they started pulling out georgette sharis, which were very nice but not silk. Again we asked, "Do you have any silk sharis?" A dozen georgette sharis are unfurled, which are very difficult to fold. I tried again, "Do you have any silk sharis? Silk, SILK, Sielk, SEEEAAALK?" At last communication happened. "OH, SEALK!" Then we looked at some nice sealk sharis.
They were so accommodating that we even got to see one shari modeled by the salesman himself. He was an expert at folding at the pleats and wrapping the shari.
As we went from shop to shop, we now had the correct pronounciation of silk to easily communicate what we wanted to buy. That's the thing about shopping in Bangladesh. You have to know the name (usually in Bangla unless they use the English term) of what you want to buy. After you ask for it, they will show it to you along with more fabulous and expensive similar products. The concept of "Just looking" doesn't exist. What's the point of shopping if you aren't going to buy?

1 comment:

Abby said...

Reba, every time I read your blog I am reminded at how exciting your experience is...enjoy every last minute of it! I'm sure you'll never forget it!