July 24, 2007

Rajshahi

Jolly's sister, cousin, Robin, and Jolly

Robin and I drink tea on the train and watch as the train zooms through the huge oceans of water on either side of the tracks. These big bodies of water appear during the rainy season and later disappear. During the rainy season those living in the middle of the lakes have to use boats to reach their houses.

Inside the stadium on Rajshahi university. Rajshahi has one of the largest stadiums in Bangladesh and many university level sporting events are held here.










Some art on the campus of Rajshahi university where around 30,000 students attend.

It was the weekend of July 5-7 when I met Robin in Sirajganj and took the Silk Line Express to Rajshahi. The train ride was amazing - first class, air-conditioning, smooth ride, I felt like I was not in Bangladesh the 3 hours passed so quickly. We stayed with Jolly, whose husband is the administrator of the PARE program, in the house of her parents. They spent the entire weekend cooking and feeding us some amazing Bangladeshi food. Jolly took us around to all the sites of Rajshahi including the river, market, Rajshahi university, and of course the silk shops. Rajshahi is famous for having the sweetest mangoes as well as for being the main center of silk production in Bangladesh.

No comments: