September 05, 2005

My friends have arrived in Bangladesh: Patrick from Canada and Jerry and Ethel from Akron, PA. So on Thursday I made a bus trip with a few Taize boys to Dhaka. After finding the MCC flat, my second orientation began. Orientation on Friday consisted of going to an Anglican church service, eating, and talking. Saturday was a shopping/girls day out, and I’m having some more shalvar camij made. Sunday we traveled to MCC’s Global Family partner in northern Bangladesh. We were greeted with dancing girls dressed in colorful tribal clothing. The children at this partner are sponsored and receive education, food, and other necessities. They performed more dances and songs for us, and we learned that our visit was the most exciting thing that had happened to them in 6 months. At this point Rebecca and Philip left us to head north to the hospital where they will wait to have their baby sometime in September. Patrick, Jerry, Ethel, and I all traveled to Sirajgonj. MCC has an office at Sirajgonj that works mainly in agriculture. Today we went west a few hours to visit some MCC partners in the PARE (agriculture) program. We saw a lot of goats, chickens, and a few cows and spent some time meeting with the partner staff. Meeting with partner staff means that they serve us food, and I had a ton of sweets, fruit, and ice cream. Tonight we are again at MCC’s office/guesthouse in Sirajgonj, which I like very much. Tomorrow we are going back to the Mymensingh/Muktagatcha area for more orientation. I’m getting to use my Bangla a bit to teach the new MCCers and to converse with random people that I meet. I don’t mind the break from classes though.

6 comments:

Abby said...

It sounds like all you do is eat :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Beka, It sounds like you have come up in the world, tour guide, intrepreter and celebrity ? dancing girls and the best thing in 6 months. Take care. D

Maria said...

how's your Bangla? Can you get me a free plane ticket over there?

Anonymous said...

Way to get around, Beckie. Your travels sound very interesting, if not amazing. I'm trying to concoct a plan to do a tour of Asia next Summer or Fall and drop in on you, Burdette, and the Wahl... I'd bring the Koerner and the Blough of course. Here's hoping I win the lottery!

Take care and keep exploring.

abby said...

Reba, I can't beleive how your Bangla is coming along!! You are awesome!

Laura said...

I am also impressed that you are learning Bangla so quickly. I guess everyone says the easiest way to learn a language quickly by being immersed in the culture that speaks it. However, you still amaze me!

Also, make sure to update us on Rebecca and Philip's baby when you get the news!